Are you in a relationship right now? Or are you married? We all know that doing the marriage vow will not guarantee a lasting relationship. In fact, according to statistics, about half of the marriages in the US end up in divorce. I am not scaring you though as even if a lot of marriages fail, there are still a number of things you can do to protect yours and this is the bottom line of this article. You will learn a lot of things here that can keep your marriage intact and these tips are from the most skilled divorce lawyers in this globe.
- Before anything else, you should instill in your mind that no marriage is perfect. Don’t be disheartened that after exerting a lot of efforts, you still end up facing difficult hurdles. Marriage should be treated as a work in progress and not a kind of to-do list where if you try hard, you can perfect it. The best way to deal with your marriage is to always remember why you decide to live with your husband for the rest of your life and to enjoy! If there are times that you don’t enjoy, note that it is natural. There are really bad days and more in marriage.
- Tying the knot is a big leap from your “single” days. Not only that this marks a big change in your lifestyle, it goes the same thing with your responsibilities. You cannot do as you please anymore as you have a husband to take and to ask permission first. You might feel overwhelmed of the sudden change and sudden load of responsibilities. This is why most marriages are advised to go through some counselling at least once on the first three years of their marriage. You and your partner can go through this as well.
- In most divorce cases, sex is the reason why some of them are unhappy. They feel like their sex is already a routine like it is just the same every time. You can then perk up your sex life. You and your husband can experiment on something new so that there will be new thrills and excitement. You don’t even have to do it every time and just hold each other while trying to fall asleep. This should make you become closer.
- In-laws are also some of the most common culprits to divorce. That said, you have to set boundaries right from the start when it comes to this topic. Note that even if you love your parents, there are also a lot of times when they annoy you. How much more when they are not your parents and they suddenly want to take part of your lives! You should talk with the in-laws right from the start so they will also know up to where they can meddle only. Sometimes, they can be controlling if you allow them.
- Always and never are not good to hear. For sure you are also annoyed about these at times. This is like a confirmation that is actually untrue and just exaggeration. If you say your husband is always loyal, you don’t really know about it and if you say he is never loyal, the more that this is not true, and this comment surely begs for a quick harsh retort!
- Try not to notice every little thing your husband is doing as this should stress you out. your husband is not a saint and he is bound to make mistakes just like you. As they say, choose your battles as noticing every little thing will only put your relationship to a peril.
- It is common for people not to forget bad things and just take those good things for granted. We all know that this is not a good thing and it should be the other way around. That said, you should practice ignoring the bad things, especially if they are resolved already and focus on the great things your partner has done for you.
- When your marriage runs for years already, that’s when you start to be less sensitive. Criticizing your husband might be one of the many habits that will develop. However, if you still value him, if you still value your marriage, avoid doing this as trust me, he might make some negative retorts every time, but this will make a mark on his subconscious.
- If you really need to vent on your husband, yet you don’t want to fight with him, why not just do it with one of the emojis in your phone! That is right and you can rant all you want when he is not around. This should get off the burden from your chest. Saying bad things to him will not do any good at all. This can lead to big fights and you also have your kids to think of.
- Root for him. The thing is, when you are already living with him for years, you tend to forget why you fell in love with him in the first place. This is not a good thing and instead, you should always remember those good qualities that made you say yes to him and made you walk the aisle towards him.
- Go out alone with him at least once a year. An try your best to avoid any disagreements. Just have a good time and enjoy. This is your chance to bring back the closeness you have then. This should rekindle the passionate love you have with each other. Always remember that out of the thousands of people you probably met before him, you choose to be with him. There should be a lot of things about him you love then.
Yes, marriage is a work in progress. You will meet a lot of hurdles along the way but if you are willing to work on it, you can still be together for a long time. Don’t consider divorce as the ultimate solution and in fact, that should not be an option especially if you already have kids.