The technical characteristics of cement are improved by adding special substances to it. Such active additives do not affect the consistency of the solution. They increase plasticity, resistance to water and frost, aggressive environmental influences, mechanical strength and other indicators. Polymer compositions, modifiers and plasticizers improve mortar compaction, masonry quality, adhesion.
Cement additives for concrete
In the production of concrete structures subjected to increased stress, additives are used to increase the strength. They are mixed in the process of making concrete mortar. Additionally, hydrophobic substances are added that improve the stability of the product during cyclic freezing.
Such additives are appropriate in such situations:
- During the production of reinforced concrete structures for which a high load is planned – the foundation, blocks for load-bearing walls, supports;
- When using expansion additives in a concrete solution;
- It is necessary to achieve high indicators of resistance to water and frost;
- When mixing concrete mortar of fine grain size;
- Materials with non-standard size fractions are used as filler;
When erecting any monolithic structures.
New technical characteristics of concrete appear after complete drying and hardening of the material. The additives extend the life of the screed and the finished product. The type of additive is selected taking into account the requirements for the cement slurry and the desired result.
Varieties of hardening additives
Before choosing a hardening method, it is recommended to study the composition and properties, to find out the appropriateness of use, taking into account the planned loads on the finished product and the features of operation.
This type of additive is able to increase the strength by 125-140% and reduce the consumption of cement slurry by 15-25%. But he is not a hardener. The main task of the additive is to improve the mobility of the cement slurry. They are produced in the form of a liquid, powder or ready-made solution. Plasticizers like sodium gluconate Malaysia change the technical characteristics of a cement-based mortar:
- Increase in resistance to frost by 1.5 marks;
- Decrease in water resistance by 4 marks;
- Reduction of natural shrinkage after hardening;
- Increased adhesion to metal surfaces;
- The probability of the appearance of voids in the solution is minimized;
- Prevention of corrosion on metal products in contact with the solution;
- Improving the fluidity and elasticity of the finished solution.
It is not recommended to carry out construction work using cement at temperatures below -10⁰С. Plasticizers increase thermal conductivity, therefore they are widely used when pouring screeds for underfloor heating systems.
Click here for more content.